CMS Experiment at the Large Hadron Collider
- M. Abbas, with S. Butalla (corr. author), et al., "Interstrip Capacitances of the Readout Board used in Large Triple-GEM Detectors for the CMS Muon Upgrade," JINST 15 P12019, arXiv:2009.09505 [physics.ins-det] Dec 14, 2020.
- M. Hohlmann, "A Model for Crosstalk in Micropattern Gas Detectors," Proc. of Virtual IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2020, Boston, MA, Oct. 31 - Nov. 7, 2020, arxiv:2012.11596 [physics.ins-det, hep-ex, nucl-ex]
- S. Butalla and M. Hohlmann (for the CMS muon group), "Investigation and Mitigation of Crosstalk in the Prototype ME0 GEM Detector for the Phase-2 Muon System Upgrade of the CMS Experiment," Proc. of Virtual IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2020, Boston, MA, Oct. 31 - Nov. 7, 2020, arxiv:2102.03342 [physics.ins-det, hep-ex]
- J. Alimena, et al. (w/ M. Hohlmann as endorser), "Searching for long-lived particles beyond the Standard Model at the Large Hadron Collider," J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 47 090501, https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1361-6471/ab4574 Sept 2, 2020.
- D. Abbaneo, et al., "Layout and Assembly Technique of the GEM Chambers for the Upgrade of the CMS First Muon Endcap Station," Nucl. Instr. Meth. Vol. 918, pages 67-75 (2019), arXiv:1812:00411 [physics.ins-det] Dec 2, 2018.
- CMS Collaboration (based in part on Vallary's Ph.D. thesis), "Measurement of the Z/γ* → τ τ cross section in pp collisions at √s = 13 TeV and validation of τ lepton analysis techniques," Eur. Phys. J. C (2018) 78:708, arXiv:1801.03535 [hep-ex] Jan 10, 2018.
- S. Colafranceschi, I. Vai (for the CMS muon group) with D. Abbaneo et al., "Operational experience with the GEM detector assembly lines for the CMS forward muon upgrade," Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2017, Altanta, GA; CMS CR-2017/423 and Trans. Nucl. Sci. Vol. 65, No. 11 (November 2018), IEEE TNS link, Nov 16, 2017.
- S. Colafranceschi (for the CMS coll.), "A new Slow Control and Run Initialization Byte-wise Environment (SCRIBE) for the Quality Control of Mass-Produced CMS GEM detectors," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2016, Strasbourg, France, Oct 29-Nov 5, 2016, arXiv:1612.04461.
- Proceedings Paper (CMS conf. report)
- V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, A. Mohapatra, M. Phipps, J. Twigger, A. Zhang, et. al., "Performance of a Large-Area GEM Detector Prototype for the Upgrade of the CMS Muon Endcap System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2014, Seattle, WA, Nov 9-15, 2014, arXiv:1412.0228.
- S. Colafranceschi, M. Hohlmann, et. al., "Beam Test Results for the New Full-scale GEM Prototypes for a Future Upgrade of the CMS High-η Muon System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2012, N14-137, Anaheim, CA, Oct 29-Nov 3, 2012, arXiv:1211.3939.
- M. Tytgat, et. al., "Construction and Performance of Large-Area Triple-GEM Prototypes for Future Upgrades of the CMS Forward Muon System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2011, Valencia, Spain, Oct 23-29, 2011, arXiv:1111.7249, and RD51-Note-2011-012.
- S. Colafranceschi, et. al., "Test beam results of the GE1/1 prototype for a future upgrade of the CMS high-η muon system," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2011, Valencia, Spain, Oct 23-29, 2011, arXiv:1111.4883.
- D. Abbaneo, et. al., "Construction of the first full-size GEM-based prototype for the CMS high-η muon system," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, Oct 30 - Nov 6, 2010, arXiv:1012.1524, and RD51-Note-2010-008.
- D. Abbaneo, et. al., "Characterization of GEM Detectors for Application in the CMS Muon Detection System," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee, October 30 - November 6, 2010, arXiv:1012.3675, and RD51-Note-2010-005.
- CMS Collaboration, "Aligning the CMS muon chambers with the muon alignment system during an extended cosmic ray run," J. of Instr. 5:T03019 (2010), 18pp., arXiv:0911.4770, and CMS-CFT-09-017 (25 November 2009).
- Contribution to Muon Alignment to the CMS Detector Paper: The CMS Collaboration, "The CMS experiment at the CERN LHC," J. of Instr. 3:S08004 (2008), 361pp.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Aligning the CMS Muon Endcap Detector with a System of Optical Sensors," Proc. of the IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2007, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp. 657-662, ISBN 1-4244-0923-3 and CMS conference report CMS CR-2008/015.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Design and Performance of the Alignment System for the CMS Muon Endcaps," Proc. of the IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2006, San Diego, California, pp. 489-495, ISBN 1-4244-0561-0 and CMS conference report CMS CR-2008/016.
Electron Ion Collider (EIC)
- R. Abdul Khalek et al., with J. Collins, M. Hohlmann, A. Wikramanayake, "Science Requirements and Detector Concepts for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC Yellow Report)," BNL-220990-2021-FORE, JLAB-PHY-21-3198, arXiv:2103.05419 [physics.ins-det] March 2021.
- B. Azmoun, P. Garg, T.K. Hemmick, M. Hohlmann, A. Kiselev, M.L. Purschke, C. Woody, A. Zhang, "Design Studies for a TPC Readout Plane Using Zigzag Patterns with Multistage GEM Detectors," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., Vol.65, No.7, pp. 1416-1423, July 2018, arXiv:1801.03087 [physics.ins-det] Jan 8, 2018.
- M. Hohlmann, M. Bomberger, S. Colafranceschi, F. Jimenez, M. Rahmani, A. Zhang, "A Low-mass GEM Detector with Radial Zigzag Readout Strips for Forward Tracking at the EIC," Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2017, Atlanta, GA; arXiv:1711.05333 [physics.ins-det], Nov 14, 2017.
- A. Zhang, M. Hohlmann, B. Azmoun, M. Purschke, and C. Woody, "A GEM readout with radial zigzag strips and linear charge-sharing response," Nucl. Inst. Meth. A 887 (2018) 184-192, online version at ScienceDirect (10 Jan 2018); preprint version arXiv:1708.07931 [physics.ins-det] Aug 26, 2017.
- A. Zhang and M. Hohlmann, "Accuracy of the geometric-mean method for determining spatial resolutions of tracking detectors in the presence of multiple Coulomb scattering ," JINST 11 P06012 (2016), June 21, 2016; preprint version arXiv:1604.06130, Apr 20, 2016.
- A. Zhang, V. Bhopatkar, E. Hansen, M. Hohlmann, S. Khanal, M. Phipps, E. Starling, J. Twigger, K. Walton, "Performance of a large-area GEM detector read out with wide radial zigzag strips," Nucl. Inst. Meth. A 811 (2016) 30-41, online version at ScienceDirect (18 Dec 2015); preprint version arXiv:1508.07046, Aug 2015.
- A. Zhang, V. Bhopatkar, M. Hohlmann, et al., "R&D on GEM Detectors for Forward Tracking at a Future Electron-Ion Collider," Proc. of IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium 2015, San Diego, CA; arXiv:1511.07913 [physics.ins-det], Nov 24, 2015.
- D. Mitra, K. Day, M. Hohlmann, "A volume clearing algorithm for Muon Tomography," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2014, Seattle, Washington.
- K. Gnanvo, et al., "Detection and Imaging of High-Z Materials with a Muon Tomography Station Using GEM Detectors," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2010, Knoxville, Tennessee; arXiv:1011.3231 [physics.ins-det], Oct 30 - Nov 6, 2010.
- K. Gnanvo, et al., "Imaging of high-Z material for nuclear contraband detection with a minimal prototype of a muon tomography station based on GEM detectors," Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 652 (2011) 16–20, Proc. of the 12th Symposium On Radiation Measurements and Applications (SORMA10), Ann Arbor, Michingan; arXiv:1007.0256 [physics.ins-det], May 24-28, 2010.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "Design and of a First Prototype Muon Tomography System with GEM Detectors for the Detection of Nuclear Countraband," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2009, Orlando, Florida; arXiv:0911.3203 [physics.ins-det] Oct 25-31, 2009.
- D. Mitra, et al., "Simulation Study of Muon Scattering for Tomography Reconstruction," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2009, Orlando, Florida; Oct 25-31, 2009.
- R. Hoch, et al., "Muon Tomography Algorithms for Nuclear Threat Detection," "Opportunities and Challenges," SCI 214, pp. 225-231, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence series, Springer Verlag 2009, Proc. of the 22nd International Conference on Industrial, Engineering & Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems - IEA-AIE 2009, Tainan, Taiwan; June 24-27, 2009.
- K. Gnanvo, et al., "Performance Expectations for a Tomography System Using Cosmic Ray Muons and Micro Pattern Gas Detectors for the Detection of Nuclear Contraband," Proc. of IEEE Nucl. Sci. Symp. 2008, Dresden, Germany, pp. 1278-1284, IEEE Cat. CFP08NSS-CDR, ISBN 978-1-4244-2715-4, ISSN 1082-3654, e-Print: arXiv:0812.1007.
- M. Hohlmann, et al., "GEANT4 Simulation of a Cosmic Ray Muon Tomography System With Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for the Detection of High- Materials," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci., Vol.56, No.3, pp. 1356-1363, June 2009, Proc. of the 2008 Symposium on Radiation Measurements and Application - West (SORMA - West 2008), Berkeley, California.
2021 APS DPF Snowmass HEP Community Study
Letters of Interest
- B. Azmoun with M. Hohlmann, et al., "Snowmass 2021 Expression of Interest: MPGD-based Transition Radiation Detector."
- M. Rahmani and M. Hohlmann, "Vector-Portal Search for Dark Matter Particles," Aug 31, 2020.
- J. Alimena with M. Hohlmann, et al., "Studies of dark shower benchmarks."
- A. Colaleo, M. Hohlmann, A. Pellecchia, A. Sharma, R. Venditti, and P. Verwilligen, "Advanced GEM detectors for future collider experiments," Aug 31, 2020.
- K. Gnanvo, M. Hohlmann, M. Posik, and B. Surrow, "Advanced Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for Tracking at the Electron Ion Collider," Aug 31, 2020.
- M. Hohlmann, "MPGDs for Tracking and Muon Detection: Progress Review and Updated R&D Roadmap," Aug 31, 2020.
2013 APS DPF Snowmass HEP Community Summer Study
- M. Demarteau, et al., "Planning the Future of U.S. Particle Physics (Snowmass 2013) - Chapter 8: Instrumentation Frontier," Conveners' report for APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, FERMILAB-CONF-13-648; SLAC-PUB-15960; arXiv:1401.6116 [hep-ex], Jan 2014.
- M. Hohlmann, "Printing out Particle Detectors with 3D-Printers – a Potentially Transformational Advance for HEP Instrumentation," Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00137, arXiv:1309.0842 [physics.ins-det], Sep 3, 2013.
- U. Heintz, D. Bortoletto, M. Hohlmann, T. LeCompte, R. Lipton, M. Narain, and A. White, "Instrumentation for the Energy Frontier," Summary paper by the energy frontier working group within the instrumentation frontier, Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00141, arXiv:1309.0162 [physics.ins-det], Aug 31, 2013.
- J. Yu, M. Hohlmann, V. Polychronakos, and A. White, "Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for Calorimetry," in Compendium of Instrumentation Frontier Whitepapers on Technologies for Snowmass 2013, FERMILAB-FN-0971-PPD, Sep 2013.
- M. Hohlmann, V. Polychronakos, A. White, and J. Yu, "Micro-Pattern Gas Detectors for Charged-Particle Tracking and Muon Detection," Proc. of 2013 APS-DPF Snowmass Community Summer Study, SNOW13-00025, arXiv:1306.1924 [physics.ins-det], June 8, 2013.
- P. Achard, et al. (L3 coll.), "Measurement of the photon structure function Fγ2 with the L3 detector at LEP," Phys. Lett. B, 622 (2005), pp. 249-264, (based on Ph.D. thesis by Fl. Tech student G. Baksay).