Student program-related activities include:
- BioMath research project mentored by Biology and Mathematics faculty
- Daily meetings with research teams
- Open door policy by mentors for all REU students
- A weekly meeting/seminar with entire REU group
- Mentoring to prepare for graduate school and/or jobs in industry
- Training in scientific communication (written and spoken) and scientific ethics
- Final Research Symposium – REU participants describe the results of their summer research in oral and poster presentations.
Student activities outside the lab may include (depending upon student interest and availability):
- Field trips to Florida’s diverse aquatic ecosystems, including local beaches and estuaries, state parks.
- Airboat rides on the St. John’s river. Get up close and personal with a real Florida Gator.
- Kayaking tour of the Indian River Lagoon
- Visit to the Brevard Zoo
- Deep sea fishing from Cape Canaveral
- Surfing lessons
- A trip to Kennedy Space Center