Areas Of Research
- Sustainable and Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency
- Net-Zero Energy Buildings
- Designing and Optimization of Thermal Systems
- Computational Heat Transfer, and
- Inverse Heat Conduction Problems
A. Mathur and H. Najafi, Pressure Vessels and Heat Exchangers, Springer Handbook of Mechanical Engineering, 2nd Edition, In Press (2021)
Selected Journal Articles:
- G. Doiphode, H. Najafi and M. Migliori, Energy Efficiency Improvement in K-12 Schools: A Case Study in Florida, Journal of Engineering for Sustainable Buildings and Cities,JESBC-20 1019, Oct 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4048894
- O. Uyanna and H. Najafi, Thermal protection systems for space vehicles: A review on technology development, current challenges and future prospects, Acta Astronautica, Volume 176, November 2020, Pages 341-356.
- J. Constantinide and H. Najafi, Present State and Future of Environmental Control Systems In Space, ASHRAE Journal, vol. 62, no. 7, July 2020. [Featured Article-Cover Page]
- K. Amoah, T. Nguyen and H. Najafi, A Multi-Facet Retrofit Approach to Improve Energy Efficiency of Existing Class of Single-Family Residential Buildings in Hot-Humid Climate Zones, Energies 2020, 13(5), 1178.
- D. Sykes and H. Najafi, Experimental and Computational Investigation of the Effects of Cavitation Regime on Spray Parameters of Stepped Plain Orifice Atomizers, Atomization and Sprays, 29(4):351–380 (2019).
- D. Rochelle, H. Najafi, A review of the effect of biodiesel on gas turbine emissions and performance, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 105, 2019, Pages 129-137.
- K.A. Woodbury, H. Najafi, J.V. Beck, Exact analytical solution for 2-D transient heat conduction in a rectangle with partial heating on one edge, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Volume 112, February 2017, Pages 252–262.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, James V. Beck, Real Time Solution for Inverse Heat Conduction Problems in a Two-Dimensional Plate with Multiple Heat Fluxes at the Surface, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Volume 91 (2015), Pages 1148–1156.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, Online Heat Flux Estimation Using Artificial Neural Networks as a Digital Filter Approach, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 91 (2015) 808–817.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Ned R. Keltner, Real-time heat flux measurement using directional flame thermometer, Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 86, 5 July 2015, Pages 229–237.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, "A filter based solution for inverse heat conduction problems in multi-layer mediums", International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 83 (2015) 710–720.
- K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, H. Najafi, “Filter solution of inverse heat conduction problem using measured temperature history as remote boundary condition”, Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 72, May 2014, P 139–147.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Optimization of a Cooling System Based on Peltier Effect for Photovoltaic Cells”, Solar Energy, Volume 91, May 2013, Pages 152–160. Solar Energy, Volume 91, May 2013, Pages 152–160.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Modeling and Analysis of Combined Photovoltaic- Thermoelectric Power Generation System”, ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 135(3), 031013.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi and P. Hoseinpoori, “Energy and Cost Optimization of a plate and Fin Heat Exchanger Using Genetic Algorithm”, Applied Thermal Eng., Vol. 31, Issue 10, July 2011, P. 1839-1847.
- B. Najafi, H. Najafi, M. D.Idalik, “A CFD Investigation and Multi-Objective Optimization of an Engine Air Cooling System using Genetic Algorithm”, Journal Mechanical Engineering Science, vol.225 no.6, June 2011, P 1389-1398.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi, “Multi-Objective Optimization of a Plate and Frame Heat Exchanger via Genetic Algorithm”, Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Springer, Vol. 46, No. 6, 639-647, May 2010.
Selected Conference Papers:
- H. Najafi, O. Uyanna and J. Zhang, Application of Artificial Neural Network as a Near-Real Time Technique for Solving Non-Linear Inverse Heat Conduction Problems in a One-Dimensional Medium With Moving Boundary, ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Paper No. SHTC2020-9054, July 2020.
- G. Doiphode, H. Najafi and M. Migliori, Energy Efficiency in K-12 Schools: A Case Study in Florida, ASME Energy Sustainability Conference, Paper No. ES2020-1632, June 2020.
- A. Pant, S. Dhole and H. Najafi, Peltier Cooling for Low Concentration Photovoltaic Cells: Numerical Modeling and Feasibility Study, ASME IMECE 2019, Paper No. 11656, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Nov 2019.
- M. Seyednezhad and H. Najafi, Energy and Economic Analysis of a Novel Hybrid Photovoltaic-Thermoelectric System for Building Cooling Applications, ASME IMECE 2019, Paper No. 11644, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, Nov 2019.
- O. Uyanna, H. Najafi, A Near Real-Time Solution Approach for Surface Heat Flux Estimation in One Dimensional Inverse Heat Conduction Problems with Moving Boundary, ASME Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Paper No. HT2019-3458, Bellevue, WA, July 2019.
- G. Doiphode and H. Najafi, An Energetic and Exergoeconomic Analysis of a CCHP System with Micro Gas Turbine, Organic Rankine Cycle and Ammonia-Water Absorption Refrigeration Cycle, ASME 13th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, Paper No. ES2019- 3928, Bellevue, WA, July 2019.
- O. Betharte, H. Najafi, T. Nguyen, Towards Net-Zero Energy Buildings: A Case Study in Humid Subtropical Climate, ASME 2018 International Mechanical Eng. Congress and Expo., Paper No. IMECE 2018-88518, pp. V06AT08A054.
- O. Uyanna, H. Najafi, A Numerical Analysis on Cavitation Effects in Microchannels, Proc. ASME IMECE 2017, Tampa, FL, Nov 2017.
- D. Sangal, H. Najafi, Investigation of Thermal and Energy Performance of Green Roofs in Florida Climate, Proc. ASME IMECE 2017, Tampa, FL, Nov 2017.
- A. Bhargava, H. Najafi, Photovoltaic-Thermoelectric Systems for Building Cooling Applications: A Preliminary Study, Proc. ASME. 50596; Volume 6B: Energy, V06BT08A011, IMECE2016-67507.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Real time solution for inverse heat conduction problems in a two-dimensional plate with multiple heat fluxes at the surface, First Thermal and Fluids Engineering Summer Conference, New York, NY, Aug 2015.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, J. V. Beck, Real Time solution for Inverse Heat Conduction Problems in a Two-Dimensional Medium, Inverse Problems Symposium, East Lansing Michigan, May 2015.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, Application of Artificial Neural Network as Digital Filter for Online Heat Flux Estimation", Proceedings of ASME Int. Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, IMECE2014, Montreal, Canada, Nov 2014.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, " Developing An Inverse Heat Conduction Analysis Tool For Real Time Heat Flux Estimation In Directional Flame Thermometer Application", Proc. of ASME Energy Sustainability Conference, Boston, MA, July 2014.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, James V. Beck, Ned R. Keltner, “Real Time Measurement of Heat Flux by Directional Flame Thermometers Using Filter Form IHCP Method ”, Proceedings of ASME 2013 International Mechanical Eng. Congress San Diego, CA, Nov 2013.
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Feasibility Study of Using Thermoelectric Cooling Modules for Active Cooling of Photovoltaic Panels”, Proc. of ASME 2012 Intl Mechanical Eng. Congress, IMECE2012, Houston, TX, Nov 2012.
- Hamidreza Najafi, Keith A. Woodbury, “Modeling and Analysis of Combined Photovoltaic- Thermoelectric Power Generation System”, Proceedings of ASME 2012 Energy Sustainability Conference, San Diego, USA, July 2012. (Received The Best Paper Award for The Outstanding Paper from The ASME Solar Energy Division)
- H. Najafi, K. A. Woodbury, “Performance Analysis of Photovoltaic Panels in Alabama Area Using Tracking, Concentration and Cooling”, Proc. of ASME 2012 Energy Sustainability Conference, San Diego, USA, July 2012.
- H. Najafi, B. Najafi, “Sensitivity Analysis of a Hybrid Photovoltaic Thermal Solar Collector”, Proceedings of IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference EPEC 2011, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2011.6070254.
- P. Hoseinpoori, H. Najafi and B. Najafi ” Optimal Design of a Gas Turbine-Solid Oxide Fuel cell Hybrid Plant” IEEE Electrical Power and Energy Conference EPEC 2011, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2011.6070215.
- H. Najafi & B. Najafi, “Multi-Objective optimization of a fire-tube heat recovery steam generator System”, IEEE 7th annual Electrical Power and Energy conference, EPEC 2009, DOI: 10.1109/EPEC.2009.5420902.