The WHIRL is a multidisciplinary laboratory where participants are interested in the following topics (the list is not exclusive):
- Action of strong winds and resulting ocean waves on structures.
- Evaluation of building codes and standards.
- Retrofitting techniques for buildings and public infrastructure systems to resist wind loads.
- Risk assessment of existing structures
- Coastal erosion, sediment transport, and environmental damage due to storm surges and floods.
- Development of remote sensing devices for monitoring wind damage, wind speed, and flood levels.
- Development of GIS programs for environmental studies, mitigation, and loss estimation.
- Wind and meteorology studies.
- Wind tunnel modeling and testing, including development of new instrumentation.
- Statistical studies and development of potential damage maps for hurricane hazard in Florida,
- Simulation studies of wind effects on transport processes.
- Economic impact of major storms