Hydromechanics and Naval Architecture Research Lab
Hydromechanics and Naval Architecture Lab focuses on applied research and education regarding the interaction of floating structures and the marine environment. We specialize in the hydrodynamics of ships, marine spacecraft recovery, frictional drag quantification and reduction, and global greenhouse gas emissions from shipping. Our approach utilizes numerical analysis, experimental data, and full-scale testing.
- Researchers at Florida Tech warning beachgoers of increase in drownings
- Do we have enough lifeguards at Florida beaches? New study looks at the risks, how cities need to prepare
- Travis Hunsucker of Florida Tech Talks About Recent Drownings
- FIT Professor Will Help Retrieve Orion Space Capsule After Splashdown
- When Orion Splashes Down, A Florida Tech Professor Will Be There To Help
- Splashdown! Here's How NASA Will Recover The Artemis 1 Orion Capsule In The Pacific Ocean
- Swain G, Gardner H, Harper M, Hearin J, Hunsucker K, Hunsucker JT, Lieberman K, Nanney M, Ralston E, Stephens A, and Tribou M. 2022. Proactive In-Water Ship Hull Grooming as a Method to Reduce the Environmental Footprint of Ships. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- Hunsucker KZ, Vora GJ, Hunsucker JT, Gardner H, Leary DH, Kim S, Lin B, Swain G. 2018. Biofilm Community Structure and Associated Drag Penalties of a Groomed Fouling Release Ship Hull Coating. Biofouling, 34(2), 162-172.
- Hunsucker JT, Przelomski D, Bashkoff A, Dixon J. 2018. Uncertainty analysis of methods used to measure ship fuel oil consumption. Report submitted to the 72nd Session of the Marine Environmental Protection Committee, International Maritime Organization, London, UK.
- Hunsucker KZ, Hunsucker JT, Gardner H, Swain GW. 2017. Static and Dynamic Comparisons for the Evaluation of Ship Hull Coatings. Marine Technology Society Journal ,51(2), 71-75.
- Hunsucker JT, Gardner H, Swain G. 2017. A High-Speed Boat for the Hydrodynamic Testing of Fouling Control Coatings. Proceedings of the 30th American Towing Tank Conference, West Bethesda, MD, October 3-5, 2017.
- Hunsucker JT, Hunsucker KZ, Gardner H, Swain GW. 2016. Influence of Hydrodynamic Stress on the Frictional Drag of Biofouling Communities. Biofouling, 32(10), 1209-1221.
- Hunsucker JT, Swain GW. 2015. Development of a Field Instrument to Quantify Frictional Drag of an InService Ship Hull. Proceedings of the 5 th World Maritime Technology Conference, Providence, RI, November 3-7, 2015.