Sportfish Research InstitutePromoting research to fishing enthusiast
DID YOU KNOW...
- The state of Florida is the only nursery area for tarpon in the U.S.?
- A newly-hatched tarpon takes 23 days to travel from an unknown spawning site in
- The Atlantic to a suitable nursery habitat in the Indian River Lagoon, such as a mangrove marsh or mosquito impoundment?
- Fishing, as an industry, accounts for more than $6 billion of revenue per year in Florida?
- Businesses related to the marine and fishing industries in Florida produce more than 75,000 job opportunities and wages that total more than $1.7 million?
- On average, over 2.8 million anglers over 16 years old spend more than 45,000 days fishing in the Sunshine State and spend more than $3.2 million annually during their fishing trips?
- Hurricane Erin (1995) actually helped many types of sport fish larvae get into nurseries in the Indian River Lagoon by pushing them through Sebastian Inlet?
NOW THAT YOU KNOW...
- Find out what you can do to keep the fish populations healthy
- Take part in research, by fishing for your favorite sport fish and participating in our tagging program
- Tell your fishing friends about the Sportfish Research Institute (SRI) at Florida Tech
WHAT WE ARE DOING...
- Artificial reefs project (pictured at right)
- Fish tag and release program
- Studies on reproduction, early-life history, feeding and growth of tarpon, red drum, snook, snapper, tripletail and largemouth bass.
- Elementary and high school education programs and public exhibits
- Tarpon fishing tournament/fishing data collection