Use of the Microscope
To use the SPM:
- Email Tammy Ziccardi (email@example.com) to obtain three manuals for the PSIA XE-100 SPM: XE100UserManual, XEImagingSoftwareManual, and XESoftwareManual.
- Read the manuals at least once and read the user manual three times. The manuals are detailed enough that you can learn how to use the system. Focus on learning Contact or Non-contact AFM to start.
- Schedule time with one of our students (contact Tammy) or Dr Earles (firstname.lastname@example.org) to go over the system and how you can damage the system and the sample. Remember, you have to be flexible with your time as this individual is not paid to help you. They are just being nice.
- Purchase appropriate tips for your samples or buy from the lab at cost ($30 and up for mounted tips). It is very likely that new users will damage two to three tips before getting good measurements.
- Sit for a day or two and learn how to use the SPM during a time when a student or Dr. Earles is available to help you.
- Prepare to sit for an entire day or more to process your own samples.
Note, SPM analysis is not as easy as baking something in the oven. It takes some patience. If you need expert advice or help imaging and understanding your images, then you should at the least acknowledge the expert's help, buy the expert's time, or include the expert in the paper writing process. Basically, you need to offer some incentive for the expert to assist you. There is currently no technician available to support your use of the SPM.
Alternatively, you can buy training from PSIA. If you are going to do substantial imaging, this is strongly advised.